Sunday 17 June 2007

Airfield Again

This afternoon, I headed for the local disused airfield again on my 125. My OH commented that I'd improved markedly since last week. I must say I felt much more in control of the bike than I've ever felt - which is great.

Now, the problem with the bike is it is 9 years old with 330 miles on the clock. Most of that mileage has been put on the bike in the last month or 2. As I said in an earlier entry, I acquired the bike from my sister-in-law. She bought it brand new, with the intention of learning to ride. For a variety of reasons, that didn't happen, so for 8 years the bike sat in my OH's parent's back garden, accumulating about 10 miles being pushed around. (They don't have a big garden!). My OH and his Dad spend a lot of time trying to get the engine to fire after so long. Although the engine turned, it wouldn't fire and eventually my OH replaced the carburetor. It fired first time once this was replaced.

As I wanted to learn, and the bike is learner legal, my OH and I came to an agreement that we would use the bike for a year, to get some miles on it. At the end of the year, either I would keep it, giving my sister-in-law full market value for it or, we would sell it and give her the profit. When I first was on the bike, being a newbe, I didn't really know how a bike should handle. My OH over the last year has spent a fair time adjusting various things to improve the bike.

Unfortunately, although this has helped, there are a few things about the bike that I'm not too happy with. Consequently, I've lost confidence in it. However, as I'm now feeling comfortable enough to sign up for proper lessons. I had a discussion with my OH and he thinks we should keep it until I have started lessons, to keep my hand in, and get a better bike I'm happy with at that point. We'll sell the current bike and give my sister-in-law the profits.

So, watch this space for my trails during lessons!!!

No comments: