Thursday 21 June 2007

Pillion Seat Part II

My OH and I finally decided to start looking for a ST1300 just before Easter. We knew our budget, condition and extras we'd prefer. Ideally the bike would have ABS and heated front grips. (These are the rubberised bits around the handlebars). Ideally, it would be red, but when buying second hand, colour is often a secondary consideration. We tend never to buy vehicles less than 3 years old as we like someone else to pay the majority of the depreciation.

The first dealership, on the first day of looking had exactly what we wanted:
Within budget;
with ABS and heated grips
and, best of all,
it is red.
Proper, fire engine red!!!

Having done a few hundred miles as a pillion on the 1100, I had discovered it got quite tiring on the back with no support. Also, once we put our lids on the pannier that come standard with the bike, there was no room for jackets if we didn't want to trail them about. So we decided to get a top box to go with the bike too.

My OH also fitted heated grips to the pillion grab rails for me. I've only had to put them on a couple of times (given the time of year), but they make a huge difference...they will come in very handy in the colder months, especially as my OH is planning a New Year's day run with the owners' club!

Over the couple of months we've owned the ST1300, we have done significantly more mileage than the entire period of ownership of the 1100. It's even been used a few times commuting to Edinburgh. For a big bike it filters quite well. I must admit, though, filtering (although I'm at the back) was terrifying the first time I experienced it. Firstly, because when passing buses, lorries etc, they seem closer, due to their size. Secondly, there are car drivers who object to the idea of another vehicle making better progress than they are, so they will attempt to block the bike's progress. On the other hand, there is another type of car driver who will more across to let bikes through. To them, thank you.

This weekend we were planning on going to Boat of Garten (near Aviemore) to see the Ospreys and their chicks. Unfortunately, all 3 chicks have died. Personally, I don't see the adult birds sticking around much longer, when they don't have a reason to stay. Also, the weather forecast isn't looking too promising. Although I accept I will get wet at some point on the bike, I don't see the point at getting soaking on the bike when I have a perfectly good car...we shall see what the weekend brings.

No comments: