Monday 27 August 2007

Finally....

Yesterday, I finally picked up my bike. It was sitting ready for me and after a few formalities, I was ready to roll. That was fun…

The dealer is situated on a busy road, with a blind bend and Y-junction in 1 direction. Add to that the 2 other bikers, other than my OH, waiting on me to go (they were being very considerate, as they didn't want to spook the learner) and this being the first time riding the new bike. I had a bit of a wobble when I first moved off, with my OH riding behind me. He was sitting wide (bikers should ride slightly left of centre - he was slightly right) to keep an eye on me and offer a little protection.

I got home safely and my OH took it for a spin. That looked ridiculous as his knees were practically round his ears! When he came back he adjusted the clutch lever for me, which will make it easier for me moving off an slow riding (basically, anywhere that clutch control is necessary). It's not a fault with the dealer; clutch levers can be adjusted much like brake levers on bicycles.

Now I have the bike, I need to get practice in, so I pass my test this time round. I didn't do any more practice yesterday as I was really tired from my previous day's exploits. If the weather's fair tonight, I shall take it for a spin. My OH is talking of heading to his mothers to fit a curtain pole. Not very exciting, I know, but at least it's a reason to go somewhere. I remember when I was learning to drive. My uncle would take me for practice between lessons, but I didn't like just practicing; we had to have a reason for the journey. Now I have my bike, I shall be posting more frequently my progress.

No comments: