Monday 3 March 2008

What's that burning smell??!!

A couple of weeks ago, I was going to Kirkcaldy, to help with the Wednesday lunches my church serve. As it was a dry day and I only needed to transport myself, I decided to take my bike.

The church has a car park at the front, but it's gravel (there is a large majority of bikers who will avoid gravel like the plague). I managed to get the bike parked on the concrete path next to it, but my foot slipped on some gravel I hadn't noticed. The bike didn't fall so much as I realised I couldn't hold it up, so horizontally parked it.

It couldn't stay like that (obviously), but I managed to get the bike back in a vertical position with a little pushing and heaving. I have been told there's women out there who can pick up a Goldwing on their own. Well, bully for them!!! Besides, there isn't very many places on my bike that I can get a handhold to make things easy.

I digress though...

Once I'd done my bit at the lunches, I headed for home. Throughout the journey, I could have sworn I could smell something burning. I stopped about halfway along the road, but couldn't find anything (admittedly, I didn't get off the bike). I found the problem once I got home and I was changing out of my bike kit. Can you see the problem?




Yip, I had managed to melt my trousers (note the £1 coin, for scale). I don't know how I managed it, but I must have knocked against the hot exhaust when I was picking up my bike. Fortunately, I was wearing my bike boots, otherwise the melted plastic fabric would have adhered to my leg. Now, I definitely would have known all about that...

I thought I might have to buy a new pair of bike trousers, as the melted bit was threatening to run, but my OH used a bit of the bag my bike cover came in to patch them. He's made such a good job that it's barely noticeable and, if anyone did notice, it looks like a bit of re-enforcement. That saved me £100ish. Just as well my OH's good with a needle and thread - a button is my only sewing prowess.

Looking back at my posts, you would think I'm either really careless or unlucky. Unlucky, I hope. I also hope my luck's turning...

No comments: