Sunday 27 April 2008

My New Toy


They say that boys don't grow up, their toys just get bigger. Well, I don't believe that bigger toys should just be for them...

This is my new bike; a 2002 Honda Hornet. I picked it up from Cupar motorcycles last Friday. It was quite scary to begin with, being both the biggest and most powerful (despite the restriction) bike I've ridden. The nerves weren't helped by my OH and I parking our bikes in horizontal formation just outside the dealership - oops!

After we got our bikes vertical again, I really thought I had made a HUGE mistake. If I couldn't get it away from the dealer, how would I manage. Once I got over my fright (as that was all that I'd given myself, along with a very bruised pride!), my OH drove the hornet to a quiet residential street, so I could get used to the clutch etc. I wish we'd thought of that earlier. Never mind.

I rode it home safely, which is about 30 miles. On the way home, we headed to my Mum's to show it off. She had a seat and loved it! I told her she'd just have to get a bike licence. (As you may have gathered, my Mum's quite cool).

Since picking the bike up I've covered approx 200 miles, replaced the clutch lever (which was bent following my horizontal parking incident), added an optimate plug to the battery and fitted crash bungs. I fitted R&G crash bungs as these were recommend. They are a little more expensive than others I could have got for the Hornet, but R&G make them specifically for the bike model and test them at race days. Also, they look pretty good too.

Roll on the good weather and good riding.

No comments: