Sunday 24 May 2009

Suited and booted

In theory, I can now ride again. The Hornet's MOT'd and the consultant's given the go ahead. I've even replaced the kit that was damaged in the crash - helmet, jacket and trousers. Of course, the cost of those will be claimed against the insurers of the driver of the car that pulled out in front of us.

My hubbie and I don't need new boots or gloves as those weren't damaged at all as a result of the crash. I know of many people who think we should - "get another pair on their insurance" - but, despite it being the driver's fault, that just isn't the way we operate.

I haven't ridden yet. It's not that I don't want to but I lack strength in my left arm and occasionally get tingles and numbness in my left hand, especially if I've overstretched myself or done something I haven't done since the crash. That can be caused by something as simple as spooning rice pudding from a bowl - I kid you not!!! That's why I haven't riden yet. It's starting to look more and more likely I'll be getting another 125 to build up my confidence and strength before I get on a big bike again.

In other news, my hubbie's probably riding down to Carlisle tomorrow, to test ride a Goldwing. The Honda dealer down their is having an open day and there will be a Goldwing available for test. As the Goldwing is such an expensive bike and there's such a small market, no dealer keeps one for test rides. They have open days and Honda supplies the test bikes. Unfortunately, my hubbie's missed all the open days at the Scottish dealers. The only other way to get a test ride is if a dealer has a second hand model in but, again, none in Scotland have any at the moment.

It'll give the Hornet a good run - 120ish miles each way. Given it's only got 2400 miles on the clock (2002 model), it may be the longest run the bikes had. If he does go for the test ride (weather dependant, of course) at least then he'll know for sure that the Goldwing is the bike for him or not, as the case may be. If it is, he'll be more prepared to travel to buy a decent early model 1800. So, watch this space for updates on the search for the Pan replacement...

No comments: