Tuesday 31 July 2007

Failed

Things didn't start off well this morning. I was asked to be at Pro-Scot at 9:30 for a pre-test session. I, as you can imagine was a little nervous, partly as I wasn't sure I was ready for my test. I arrived at Pro-Scot at just before 9:30, giving myself time to have a comfort stop before heading off. The instructor didn't turn up to get me 'till 9:45, giving me loads of time to think of all the things that could go wrong.

My test was at 11:41 (yes, 41). I went out with the trainee who's test was immediately before mine. Her run was a mock test and mine a bit more practice. Just before the time of her test, we headed to the DSA test centre. Waiting there was another trainee who had just failed his test. He was sitting his test on the 500, so had to wait on the instructor to take him back to Pro-Scot. Learners can only ride 125s alone. Otherwise, you have to be supervised by a DSA approved instructor.

So, we headed to Pro-Scot to take him back and I nearly pulled out in front of a car. There was no way he was doing 30, but that spooked me. I then did my mock test. As I knew, my u-turns still needed work, so my instructor worked with me on them until just before my test. Although I can understand the logic of concentrating on the problem area, that can lead to complacency in other areas.

We arrived at the test centre with only about 3 minutes to spare. Now, I will admit I am not the world's best time keeper, but for important appointments, I like to be at least 10 minutes early, to give me time to settle. Okay, I thought, I can handle this. But, the trainee before had also failed, which shouldn't have stressed me out, but did. Also, during my run, 1 of my L plates had fallen off. My instructor then had to take on of the L plates from the other trainees bike to put on mine. This was cutting things way too fine...not good for the nerves.

Well, the preliminaries of the test went okay. The examiner checked all my documents were in order (licence, theory test and CBT certificates). He then issued me with the radio he would use to give instructions. He was really good, as he was taking great effort to put me at my ease.

To start the test, I was asked to read a number plate, to check my eyesight. That was okay. Then I was asked 2 "show me, tell me" questions, about maintenance of the bike. I think I gave almost text book answers. Then it was into our respective bikes, a quick check of the radio, to ensure it was working and I could hear properly.

Once we were moving, I suddenly felt much more relaxed. I think that's where it all started to go wrong. We headed to a residential estate in Kirkcaldy. I knew from lessons that in the estate I would have to perform my u-turn and emergency stop. Being a residential area, there were lots of parked cars. I had just headed around a junction and there was a parked car in front of me. I started to move out to pass the car and noticed too late the car heading towards me, who had right of way. I didn't have an accident, but I knew at that point that I had failed.

It all went pear shaped form then on. The u-turn was okay until 80% round. However, as I knew I was now going through the motions of the test, I didn't care, so put my foot down. Things just went downhill from there. I had been having balance issues on my earlier lessons, but I had found it.

I lost it again during the test....I also started weird indicating - like, way did I suddenly start indicating right when going straight on at a mini roundabout? I never did that on any of my lessons and would never do that in the car. I suppose I just really couldn't see the point of finishing the test and really didn't care any more. It wouldn't have been so bad if what I had done was not an absolute definite fail, but when you know and the examiner knows that you know that you have failed, what is the point of carrying on?

Anyway, when we got back to the test centre, the examiner told me that I had failed (shock!) and asked on if I wanted him to tell me why. I explained I thought it was not giving way to oncoming traffic and my u-turn. He agreed and brought up the indicator and balance issues. No real surprises.

As I was sitting my test on the 125, I was legally entitled to ride unsupervised. I headed back to Pro-Scot and the office staff thought I was winding them up, as the instructor hadn't followed me, until I pointed out I was on the 125. I'm now booked for a re-test on...11th September - yes, 6 weeks away.

I'm going to see what additional training Pro-Scot are going to give me. If it's as long as this morning's session (1.5 hours), that's way too long to go without being on a bike. I'll have to find out about that and take them to task if that is the case.

Whatever happens, I need to get a 125 of my own to get the mileage under my belt and practice my u-turns, so when I re-sit I don't ride like a learner and pass. My OH is looking forward to going bike shopping. As far as he is concerned, any excuse is better than none.

No comments: