Tuesday 24 July 2007

First Lesson


This morning I had my first formal lesson since completing my CBT last year. Consequently, I took a while longer to get used to the bike Pro-Scot use. They use Honda CB125s (pictured) for the initial part of the training program. If you drive a car, you'll be aware that different cars (even of the same engine size) perform differently. This was the case with the Honda 125.

I needed a bit longer in the yard, getting used to the controls etc. While out on the road, I felt I was getting better, as it's a more natural environment. However, I was having issues with clutch control in particular. Clutch control is even more important for slow speed control on a motorbike that a car.

I must admit, I was finding it a bit odd using the clutch for slow speed control in second gear. Perhaps it's just me, but I thing if you're needing to take a corner using clutch control, perhaps a lower gear would give more control. So, I'm going to have to work on that.

The other thing that was annoying me was, as I was lacking confidence, the instructor was "concentrating" on me. Okay, I'll admit I wasn't perfect, by any stretch of the imagination, but I could see the other 3 trainees in front of me making some of the same mistakes and not getting away with it. In case you were wondering, all the trainees are issued with radio receivers and the trainer has a transmitter. As all the trainees are on the same frequency, we can all hear the instructions, comments etc the trainer is giving us.

When I was booking the training, I could have signed up for two eight hour days of training. I know, especially after my CBT, that I can get very tired concentration for that long. Also, when I get tired, I make mistakes, which makes me frustrated, so I make more mistakes and get into a vicious circle. So, I booked my training in 4 1/2 day sessions. This was questioned by my instructor, but when I explained the situation, he though it had been the office staff being sexist, rather than my request. It turns out some of the office staff don't think women can handle a full day in the saddle. I'm sure there are plenty men who think they can, but it is stretching their ability.

Anyway, at the end of the morning session, although I had noticed improvement, I also felt myself plateauing. I've seen this happening whenever I'm learning something new. Start off rubbish, get a little better, take a break, try again and the improvement is dramatic, but plateaus again. Hopefully that happens again on my next lesson.

I've now been advised that I may not be able to make the transition to the Honda CB500. If I don't take my test on a bike that big, I will be restricted to a bike of 33BHP or less for 2 years. Although that wouldn't be the end of the world, I'd really rather do my test on the 500. My plan now is to see how my lesson on Thursday goes. That will be on the 125 again. If is goes well and the instructor thinks I can make the transition to the 500, all well and good. If not, I'll see about getting extra instruction and delaying the date of my test, which is supposed to be 31st July. The course if fully guaranteed, so Pro-Scot have an obligation to train me until I pass. Personally, I think if I'm toiling on the 125, it may well be too soon going for my test next week.

We shall see. I shall update the blog after my next lesson session on Thursday, so watch this space to see how I get on.

No comments: