Monday 16 July 2007

Passed

Well, my theory test, at least...

I got 35/35 for the question part and 55/75 for the hazard perception part of the test, which is, apparently, a high score.

The test was at 8:30 and I had to be at the test centre for 15 minutes before the test started. I thought it would be about a 15 minute drive, so I left the house at 7:50 and got to the test centre just as the news was starting, so I went in once the news had finished. I then had my documents checked, had locked my bag away and read the test centre rules, I was able to begin the test.

This differed from the last time I'd sat a theory test. As it was paper based, and sat in a traditional classroom setting, the test could not begin until all the participants were there. As the new test is computer based and the questions and video clips given to each participant are randomly selected from the database, I didn't have to wait on everyone else or the test start time. Thus, I started the test at 8:20 and was home by about ten past nine, with my pass certificate.

That's not bad going, as there is a practice session before the multiple choice section, to ensure you know what the format is and how to operate the equipment, which should take 15 minutes. There's 40 minutes allocated to sit that part of the test; then a sample video clip, for the hazard perception part, to take you through the way to highlight a potential and developing hazard. This takes about 5 minutes and there is then an option for a 3 minute break (I pushed the wrong button and landed up having to see the sample clip again - doh). Then there's the hazard perception itself; with 14 clips that are 1 minute long. Then, there's the option to answer some new theory test questions and watch a new hazard perception video clip, for possible use with future participants. Finally, there's a "customer satisfaction" questionnaire. I think you can do the sums and see I was quick.

To be fair, at least the DSA can't be criticised for not giving enough time.

So, now it will be on with the new part of getting my bike licence - lessons. They start on the 24th July and my test (yes, for real) is on the 31st. Fingers' crossed, I'll have a bike licence in just over a fortnight...just a wee bit scary, but really quite cool.

No comments: